The RagaMuffin Kitten Breeders Society Code of Ethics
The Ragamuffin Kitten Breeders Society (TRKBS) was organized by a group of RagaMuffin breeders who decided to abide by a Code of Ethics in order to protect the RagaMuffin breed from those who do not have the best interest of the RagaMuffin cat at heart.
- I agree that since the RagaMuffin is a rare breed, furthering the interests of the RagaMuffin, (including the health and safety of breed stock and litters), shall always be the primary consideration. Any other gain shall be secondary.
- I agree to maintain a high standard of health and care including adequate room for exercise, regular grooming, clean quarters and adequate food and water.
- I shall euthanize any kitten with a deformity incompatible with a happy, comfortable life.
- All breeding cats going into breeding programs will be tested and be negative for Feline Leukemia and Feline Aids. All breeding cats will also be tested for the Ragdoll HCM gene, or if a breeding cat’s ancestors have tested N/N for the Ragdoll HCM gene, such breeding cat need not be separately tested. Confirming a breeding cat is clear from the Ragdoll HCM gene by testing of ancestors would require that both parents have tested N/N, or all sets of grandparents have tested N/N, or all sets of great grandparents, etc. have tested N/N, or any combination of the foregoing, to ensure the breeding cat could not inherit a copy of the Ragdoll HCM gene. No cat that has a copy of the Ragdoll HCM gene, nor any evidence of HCM even if not caused by the Ragdoll mutation of the HCM gene, shall be used as a breeding cat. No breeder shall place a cat that has a copy of the Ragdoll HCM gene in a breeding program nor breed a cat that has a copy of the Ragdoll HCM gene or that has HCM even if it is not a result of the Ragdoll mutation of the gene.
- All breeding cats shall also be tested clear from PKD or if a breeding cat’s ancestors have tested N/N for the PKD gene, such breeding cat need not be separately tested. Confirming a breeding cat is clear from the PKD gene by testing of ancestors would require that both parents have tested N/N, or all sets of grandparents have tested N/N, or all sets of great grandparents, etc. have tested N/N, or any combination of the foregoing, to ensure the breeding cat could not inherit a copy of the PKD gene. No breeder shall place a kitten that has a copy of the PKD gene in a breeding program nor breed any cat with a copy of the PKD gene.
- While RagaMuffin breeders of TRKBS do not intend going forward to utilize the Selkirk Rex in their breeding programs, if a Selkirk Rex is in the pedigree of any of the breeding members’ cats, I agree to have an echocardiogram performed on each such cat at one year of age prior to breeding. This is to be repeated one year later and then every two years while the cat is in the breeding program. Only cats with clear echocardiograms are to be utilized for breeding. I will only breed my cats when they are in good health and of good weight and condition. Any female who has severe birthing problems will be altered.
- I refuse to offer stud service or sell breeding cats to owners who do not conform to this code or a similar code of a RagaMuffin Cat Club. This is also done to protect the breed itself from straying from the Breed Standard.
- I will not donate a RagaMuffin for raffle purposes or buy or sell in litter lots. I will not sell to kitten retailers or wholesalers.
- I shall ascertain that all buyers know how to care for a cat or kitten and make myself reasonably available to give advice.
- I will supply a receipt for all deposits received which states what happens if a buyer changes his mind. (Example: money forfeited, immediate refund, etc.). All contracts shall indicate that the kitten is not being sold for breeding purposes. I will not sell kittens until they are at least 12 weeks old. Before a kitten is sold, it must receive immunizations for feline enteritis, rhinotracheitis, calicivirus and /or those deemed appropriate by the attending veterinarian for its age. I will take the necessary precautions to ensure kittens should be free of all external and internal parasites (worms, fleas, ear mites, fungus, etc.).
- I shall discourage the declawing of any cat or kitten.